Our network

4 Teens Charged in Beating Death Due in Court | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

4 Teens Charged in Beating Death Due in Court

DOUGLAS COUNTY, GA -- Four teenagers charged in the "unprovoked" beating death of another teen will face a judge for the first time on Monday in Douglas County.

They're accused of stomping to death Bobby Maurice Tillman, 18, who showed up to a house party on Independence Drive early Sunday morning.

"It was totally unprovoked," said Douglas County Sheriff Phil Miller. "It's a tragedy."

Tillman's friends at Chapel Hill High School plan to wear black on Monday in honor of him. Tillman graduated earlier this year.

Horace Damon Coleman, 19, Emanuel Benjamin Boykins, 18, and Quantez Devonta Mallory, 18,  and Tracen Franklin face murder charges in connection with Tillman's death.

"Bobby touched so many hearts wherever he went," said Dominique Smalls, one of Tillman's close friends. "Whenever your spirits were down, Bobby would make you smile, or cry with you. That's the type of person those four boys took away from his family, friends, and this world."

Sheriff Miller said the trouble started after too many people showed up at a house party thrown by a couple of teenage girls with their parents' permission.

Some other girls started fighting outside the home, according to Miller.

"Some guys got involved and one of them made a statement that they were gonna beat up the next guy that showed up," Miller said. "This little five-foot-six-inch, 125-pound, 18-year-old kid with braces happened to come by. They beat him down on the ground and stomped on him and killed him."

Deputies took a total of 57 people, mostly teens, by bus to the Douglas County Sheriff's Office for questioning.

Some parents and local attorneys complained the teens, some of whom were minors, were held against their will without the chance to ask their guardians for advice.

"It was after midnight, and we had to control the situation," Miller said. "The only way we could do that is to bring those people up her and interview each one individually."

"Some of them had cell phones. We took them up, but they had plenty of time to call their parents before then if they wanted to," Miller said. "Whatever they needed we tried to accommodate them, but we have a job to do. Had we let 57 people go, it would have been a nightmare trying to gather them all back up and do what we had to do." 

Sheriff Miller said there were no signs of drugs or alcohol.

He said parents were present at the party. They were trying to send everyone home when the fight started in the driveway.


Douglasville Businesses